Inaccessible Boot device after upgrade to 6.7.x
After installing StorageCraft SPX 6.7.x on Windows Server 2012 or 2016 machines and rebooting an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD pointing to stcvsm.sys is encountered.Aug 15, 2018•Troubleshooting Problem In rare instances, installing StorageCraft® ShadowProtect® SPX 6.7.x on a Windows Server 2012 or 2016 based system system may cause an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screen error code pointing to stcvsm.sys upon reboot.CauseA disk starts in offline mode. Eventually it will go online, then mount the file system. There are cases when the file system starts to mount the disk but the disk is not online yet. If this occurs, the blue screen error code will appear. ResolutionThere exist two methods to bypass the blue screen error after it has been encountered.
Follow these steps:
- Boot to the StorageCraft® Recovery Environment for Windows.
- Open Tools > Command Prompt
- Type the following command, substituting the correct letter for the system volume as it may be different in the Recovery Environment, and press Enter:
reg load HKLM\SYSTEM_PROD C:\Windows\System32\Config\SYSTEM
- Type in regedit and press Enter.
- In the registry, navigate to:
- Search for stcvsm until you find the key for UpperFilter that contains the string stcvsm.
- Edit the key and ONLY remove stcvsm, retaining the rest of the text.
- Repeat steps 5 through 7 under ControlSet002.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Run the following in the command prompt:
reg unload HKLM\SYSTEM_PROD
- Exit and reboot.
If method 1 fails, please try to boot to Last Known Good Configuration to roll back the driver installation.
Then proceed with one of the following resolutions to the issue. Either resolution can be used prior to attempting to install 6.7.x on the system.
Create a case then contact StorageCraft support for the patched driver before proceeding. The patched driver is version 188.8.131.52.36. After the patched driver has been received from support then:
- Install SPX 6.7.x.
- Do not reboot.
- Rename %windir%\system32\drivers\stcvsm.sys to %windir%\system32\drivers\stcvsm-rtm.sys.
- Copy the 2.2.73 driver to %windir%\system32\drivers. Be sure to select the correct version for the operating system in question, either x64 or x86.
- Reboot the machine.
- Install SPX 6.5.2 until the next version is released.